Improved Washer jets

The washer jets fitted to SII and SIII Land rovers are fairly meagre.  They do the job, but much of the initial spray just hits the wiper arm and gets splashed around everywhere but the screen itself.  They are also very prone to freezing up in winter.  Even worse was the popular conversion using agricultural irrigation tube or Peugeot washer bars attached to the wiper blades, which I found nearly unusable and extremely prone to blockages, be they from freezing in winter of evaporation and congealing of the washer fluid in summer.

I have had a pair of Range rover Classic heated jet heads, each with two nozzles, laying about in my garage boxes for many years.  I finally decided to fit them to the 109 to improve winter visibility.  I had hoped to just fit one to the centre, with each nozzle pointing towards its respective windscreen pane, but the angles didn’t work.  So, I have fitted both heads to the bonnet so each screen gets two jets.   I used a Dremmel tool to cut the holes in the bonnet and bonded the heads in place with Tiger seal.  One can be seen in the photo, on the flat section of the bonnet under the tread of the tyre (seen a little left of the top of the pick axe handle’s Quickfist).  The inboard nozzle is slightly restricted in this position – if angled all the way in and up, it hits the tyre tread, but this position would aim the jet at the opposite screen anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

The heating elements are spliced into the heated wing mirror circuit (on the Range Rover, the wing mirror and washer jet heads are connected to the same circuit as the rear windscreen heating) with bullet connectors near the bonnet hinge line to allow the bonnet to be removed without cutting the wires.

The washer pump is capable of supplying four nozzles and has been tested to good effect – I now have a stream directed a little above each wiper blade in the parked position and another just outboard of the middle of the pane.  The silicone piping from the bottle and pump to the jet heads has been rerouted, along with the rear screen washer piping, to run from the pumps along the top of the engine’s timing cover, past the thermostat housing and along the head, just under the heater matrix return pipe, to the bulkhead.  They are  covered along the head by the 300Tdi rocker cover acoustic pad to allow the engine to thaw any frozen lines in freezing conditions.

The original front screen nozzles have been left in place with their hoses, their supply having been cut on the front of the bulkhead.  The dead pipe end has been fitted with a straight connecting piece so that they can be instantly reconnected if a problem occurs with the new jets.  The end of this new “standby” system has been tied back to prevent damage with the open  end of the new connector pointing downwards to prevent dirt ingress.

So, hopefully I will now have twice the screen coverage, less wasted fluid splashed over the bulkhead and more reliable winter operation, with a built-in back-up system if the new units fail.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

  1. Kyle Gordon says:

    What washer pump do you drive the nozzles from? I have similar nozzles on the bonnet, but my OEM S3 pump means it’s more of a shower than a jet by the time it hit’s the windscreen when I’m above 20mph.

  2. I was using the standard Defender bottle and pumps. The problem was not pressure but geometry and aerodynamics – the spare wheel not only limited the position of the nozzles too far aft but also disrupted the airflow and made them useless. I had to go straight back to the standard SIII jets.

Speak Your Mind

*

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close